Saturday, August 19, 2017
Home >> Academic Photo News
Report Shows 61.4% of Online Celebrities' Followers Are Male
Source:Chinese Women's Research Network | Release Date:2017-6-19-
Title: Report Shows 61.4% of Online Celebrities' Followers Are Male
Author: Wang Ying
Source: China Daily
Release Date: June 19, 2017
Keyword: Internet celebrities, investment, fan, base

China's internet celebrities are using their popularity among young Chinese followers to make money, creating an industry with real investment value, a new report said.

As of May, the total amount of internet celebrities on Sina's Weibo with 100,000 plus followers has increased 57.3 percent from last year, and their total followers surged 20.6 percent to 465 million year-on-year, according to a report published by iResearch on Friday.

The report shows that 61.4 percent of online celebrities' followers are male, and the other 38.6 percent are female, compared to the data released by China Internet Network Information Center (CNNIC) reporting that Chinese netizen's male to female ratio is about 52:48.

According to the report findings, as mobile internet penetrates into lower-tier cities, about 54.1 percent of the followers come from small cities. In contrast, netizens from first-tier cities are least attracted by online celebrities, who account for 18.5 percent of their fans. Second-tier cities represent about 23.1 percent of followers with third-tier cities holding 23.5 percent.

These web celebrities also have followers in Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan, who account for 2.5 percent of total fans, and overseas followers account for the other 1.8 percent.

The 2017 China Online Celebrity Economic Development Insight, an extensive analysis on the present and prospects of cyber celebrity related economy, was published on June 16 by iResearch, a provider of online audience measurement and consumer insights in China.

Hello visitor,
Hot Articles
Over 80% of University Students Believe 'Women's Abilities Are Not Inferior to Men's'
Influence of Spouses' Educational Background on Family Division of Labor
2017 CWRS Women and Gender Studies Training Class Kicks Off in Beijing
Shen Yueyue Attends Event Marking 25th Anniversary of Promulgation of Law Protecting Women
The 61st Session of the Commission on the Status of Women Kicks Off in New York
UN Announces New Approach to 'Stamp Out' Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
More Female Cadres Occupy Leading Positions in Local Provinces and Municipalities
ACWF Hosts International Women's Day Reception in Beijing
About Us | Job | Link | Contact Us